Past Lessons

Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday's Class - Descriptive Writing

Do Now - COPY
Entry Title:  Plot Structure for "The Cask of Amontillado"

Protagonist:  Montressor
Antagonist:   Fortunato
Setting:         I
t is early evening in an Italian city during a carnival immediately preceding Lent.

Conflict:  Montressor must overcome the shame of insults put upon him by Fortunato.

Rising Action: (TBA)

Turning Point:  When Montressor sets the final brick in the tomb he made for Fortunato.

Falling Action: (TBA)

Resolution:  Montressor murders Fortunato by burying him alive.

Lesson Learned:  Montressor learns that seeking revenge when someone insults you can be satisfying.

Theme:  Insults and pride may lead to your ultimate demise.




AGENDA
  1. Do Now - Plot Points for "The Cask of Amontillado"
  2. EQ:  Can you write a description of a place or beverage of your choosing?
  3. Mini-Lesson: Model a description of a location or a beverage.
  4. Practice:  Students will view two videos. One which depicts the catacombs of  Italy and one that depicts a critique of a soft drink.
  5. Assessment: Write a description of a place or of a beverage of your choice.
  6. HW - Finish your description for tomorrow.  Use the TREES strategy for paragraph development! This will be a homework grade worth 25 points due Monday.

Model of a Description of a Place

  To me, there is no more beautiful place in the world than Genesee Valley Park in Rochester, NY.  I find this park to be not only beautiful, but serene.  In the Spring, I enjoy running through the park in the morning.  The fresh air blowing through the waters of the Erie canal fill my spirit with joy and remind me about what's important in my life.  As I run through this place, my mind becomes clear and sometimes I even come up with answers to the problems I am facing.  This park is more than just a beautiful place, it is more like a church, but outdoors.  I hope I will always be able to enjoy the peace it brings to me for years to come.



Model of a Description of a Beverage

    To me, there is no better thing to drink than hot chocolate.  Not only is it warm, rich and creamy, but it is also good for you!  I prefer dark hot chocolate.  Dark chocolate is loaded with anti-oxidants which help repair cells in your body.  I never make it from a mix.  Instead, I buy powdered dark chocolate and, in a pot, mix it with milk, half and half, and just a splash of vanilla.  The color is almost like black coffee and it smells like a freshly unwrapped Hersey Bar.  It tastes like drinking hot fudge.  I will never stop drinking this amazing beverage for as long as I live!


VIDEOS for this Lesson

Catacombs

Arizona Fruit Punch Review




No comments:

Post a Comment