Entry Title: Gift of the Magi Vocab Practice I
Select THREE vocabulary words below from the short story, "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry and use each one in a sentence that demonstrates you understand the meaning of that word.
subside, agile, instigate, cascade, parsimony, inconsequential, predominate, quantity, illuminate, nimble
- Bellwork - Three vocabulary words.
- EQ - Can you identify literary symbolism in a piece of literature?
- Learning Objectives - 1) Identifying literary symbolism & 2) Reviewing story vocabulary.
- Mini-lesson - Model how to complete the "Identifying Numeric Symbolism in Literature" worksheet.
- Guided Practice - Working in pairs, students will complete the worksheet.
- Assessment - Amount of worksheet completed by end of the period for a Classwork Grade.
- Homework - Complete the worksheet and study for Unit Test on Friday.
Identifying Numeric Symbolism in Literature
Using “Gift of the Magi” a Short Story by O. Henry
What is the numeric symbolism?
Text Based Documentation
How is this symbolism related to the number three?
There are three characters.
· Three times Della counted it.
· Also appertaining thereunto was a card bearing the name "Mr. James Dillingham Young."
· Where she stopped the sign read: "Mme. Sofronie. Hair Goods of All Kinds."
There are three characters and three Magi.