Entry Title: Gift of the Magi Vocab Practice II
Select THREE different vocabulary words below from the short story, "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry and use each one in a sentence that demonstrates you understand the meaning of that word.
subside, agile, instigate, cascade, parsimony, inconsequential, predominate, quantity, illuminate, nimble
- Bellwork - Three vocabulary words.
- EQ - Can you identify literary symbolism in a piece of literature?
- Learning Objectives - 1) Identify literary symbolism. 2) Use TREES to write a well developed response.
- Mini-lesson - Model a well written paragraph using TREES on literary symbolism in the story.
- Guided Practice - Use TREES to write a response about literary symbolism in the short story, "Gift of the Magi" and have it peer edited for a Class Work Grade.
- Assessment - Rough draft of essay completed by end of the period.
- Homework - Use feedback from peer editor to write final draft of essay due tomorrow.
Model of Essay Identifying Literary Symbolism
The Number ThreeIn the short story, "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry, the author uses literary symbolism associated with the number three repeatedly throughout the story. This is because the number three is considered a mystical number and reflects the fact that there were three Magi from the biblical account of Jesus' birth and the gifts they offered the Christ child. For example, the story centers around three things: Jim's gold watch, Della's hair and the love Jim and Della share. These three aspects of the story represent its title because there were three Magi. This is only one example of many which highlight the author's use of the literary symbolism associated with the number three in the story.
Review of Peer Editing Process
- Find a friend to peer edit your essay.
- Write your name at the bottom. "Corrected by: Marcy Cameron"
- Use the TREES mini rubric to be sure the paragraph is fully developed.
- Proofread the essay for grammar, punctuation, capitalization and spelling errors using proper proofreader's marks. Also be sure the person skipped lines!
- Offer any suggestions to improve the essay.
- Return the essay to your friend so they can make corrections on their final draft for tomorrow.