Entry Title: Alliteration and Imagery
What might be one of the literary symbolic meanings behind the the following line from the story?
“She stood by the window and looked out dully at a grey cat walking a grey fence in a grey backyard.”
Use the TREES method of paragraph development to respond. A possible topic sentence could be... In the short story, "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry the author uses literary symbolism. This is to enhance his narrative (story). For example...
- Bellwork - Reader Response: Literary Symbolism
- Homework Check: Literary Symbolism Worksheet
- EQ - Can you determine the theme of the story, "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry?
- Learning Objectives - 1) Reinforce how to determine the theme of a story using a plot structure diagram.
- Mini-lesson - Review the process of determining the theme of a story using a plot structure diagram.
- Guided Practice - Working in pairs and using the short story, "Gift of the Magi" and a plot structure diagram, determine the theme of this story.
- Assessment - Theme statements based on plot structure diagram. This is a Classwork Grade.
- Homework - Study vocabulary words for the test on Friday.
Blank Plot Structure Diagram